Monday, April 1, 2013

Casey Stengel, Opening Day and the Dominican Republic

Not that opening day has anything to do with Casey Stengel, it just felt ironic that I received a message from a young photographer in England about an autographed baseball photograph. I have a gallery of six baseballs on my Fine Art America website that are signed by some of the most well known players around. All of the autographs are on just two baseballs. The names include Casey Stengel, Ken Boyer, Duke Snider, Lew Burdette, Ron Sievers, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, and Warren Spahn. Maybe the names just sound familiar to me because the baseballs belong to my brother. He and my Dad would go to the Spring Training events at Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg, Florida in the 1960's. Every Saturday afternoon a baseball game was on television in our house. My brother eventually was drafted by the Orioles out of high school. That was back in the of Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. Opening Day reminds me of what baseball was and is to our family. I don't pay much attention to it anymore, but I did check the Nationals score this afternoon. I know my grandson would be thrilled to know they won. He missed the game this year because he is at a baseball camp in the Dominican Republic. Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment