Friday, June 12, 2020

Repotting the Orchid Plant

We got an orchid plant as a housewarming gift last year from my brother and sister in law. It had two branches with flowers. The nice thing about orchids is that they last a long time, but I have only been lucky enough to have a plant re bloom one time. When we asked about care of the orchid at Ginkgo gardens, we got some orchid food and repotting mix, along with advice on watering and placement. I’ve been giving the plant five small ice cubes every week, and it has responded with a couple of new leaves. The last leaf started out with a small split down the middle, but has now grown to the same size as the others - but still no indication of a sprout. So I decided it was time to repot the plant. I dug out the mix, and removed the plant from the container. The root system looked really healthy. The stuck on old mix was pulled away from the roots as well as some of the packed dirt around the base. It was repacked with the new potting mix and sprinkled with a bit of food/water. I’m hoping I didn’t destroy it and would love to see some evidence of something - either way. Three ice cubes were added today to get it back on schedule. I suppose time will tell if I did the right thing. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment