Wednesday, March 31, 2021

52Frames_slowshutter

Last week was a very difficult photo challenge for me. Since I only use an iPhone for the 52Frames weekly affair, having to use a slow shutter was not easy. So I researched how I could even do a slow shutter on an iPhone and found an app that might be able to help. I downloaded the Camera +2 app, then I read about what I needed to do to take a slow shutter photo, and tried a few options. We first went to the tidal basin thinking a helicopter flying by the Washington monument might be good. It wasn’t. Apparently a tripod is required for these types of things and a shaky hand - even though I thought it was quite steady - didn’t do. Everything was blurry. The crows along the anacostia river in Potomac park east didn’t work out either. A truck passing by the monuments on an off ramp was a mess. So I tried capturing my husband’s moving foot. No good. How about a car passing by? A little better. And the tiny flying carpets that hang from the bedroom lamp? A little better. How about people walking on the sidewalk? No. I wasn’t happy with any of them. Then I thought I would try to do an “artistic selfie.” While sitting on the couch in a half light, I purposely overexposed it, set it for 3-4 seconds, and turned my head from left to right. The photo was at least a bit interesting and had a somewhat clear and slow shutter effect. I know I will never “win” any of these weekly efforts, but at  least I learned something new and figured out how to at least come up with an idea that met the challenge. It certainly kept my occupied for several hours. Now that I kind of know what I’m doing I’d like to try it out on another subject. This week the challenge is fast shutter. At least I have a better idea about that one. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment