Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Spirit of Nowruz at the Library of Congress

I miss the old days! I worked at the Library of Congress for ten years. We really enjoyed going to the library for all sorts of programs. I liked it even more after I retired five years ago. Since we moved to northern Virginia two years ago, it was a great excuse to take a ride in to town, see the program, and then if it was late afternoon, we would catch a bite at the Hawk and Dove for dinner. Well, that hasn’t happened for over a year. But the next best thing is to watch a virtual program. The first program was yesterday and the subject was a film about the spirit of Nowruz. I received an email about the program about a week ago and signed up for it. We got comfy on the couch, followed the link, and watched the show. A familiar face was introducing the guest speaker, and the film was a documentary in nature - very colorful and interesting to watch. My husband is from Iran, and I have visited the country twice -  so we like the Middle Eastern section program options. It wasn’t quite the same as actually going to the beautiful building - right now it is surrounded by a barbed wire fence. But it was an opportunity to recreate our old way of life. For a moment it felt like we were actually there, so I guess it was well worth the time. I sent Hirad a Happy Nowruz email at the Library and thanked him for getting the production on Zoom. Maybe some day we will be able to venture out again. 












No comments:

Post a Comment