Monday, September 6, 2021

52Frames_woman

I wasn’t sure how I would take an “environmental” portrait for the 52Frames photo challenge last week until it hit me in the face. We usually take a ride to the national mall and go to a museum or garden or place that might help achieve the goal of getting a decent shot of the subject matter. So we parked near the American Indian museum and walked through the First Ladies garden hoping to find a gardener. It was too early in the morning. So we headed up towards the Capitol building. A female construction worker was too far away, so we continued on towards the east side. For whatever reason, the streets and Capitol grounds were eerily quiet - there was no one to be found. So I took a photo of Freedom on top of the dome thinking that may be my only option. When we hit the north gate, I saw a female police officer and three male colleagues observing us. So I walked over and asked her if she could oblige a portrait for my photo challenge even though I much prefer candid shots to formal portraits. After she learned why I wanted to take the photo, she was willing. It turned out better than I expected. After that we walked on towards our latest favorite place - the National Gallery of Art - where a greeter at the door and an usher inside also approved of having a portrait shot. I sent them copies to their email address on the spot. Once inside the gallery, there were plenty of “woman” options, but they were candids and not environmental. Once again outside, we headed to the food trucks where there was a construction worker and a food truck owner near their vehicles. On our way home I took some street scenes with interesting back drops. In the end I selected the police office to submit for the challenge, although I liked the head scarved woman in the gallery in front of the female portrait. The unflattering bullet proof vest and work gear made quite a statement. Having lived on Capitol Hill for thirteen years this photo had more of a connection. 



































No comments:

Post a Comment