Sunday, September 5, 2021

National Gallery of Art Furniture and Portraits

It seems we have been going to the National Gallery of Art a lot lately. I participate in the 52Frames photo challenge every week and the subject matter has been generally suited at this place. Last week was “Women” and this week is “Men.” Between the portrait gallery and the American History Museum there are a lot of options for “nostalgia,” and “texture.” Although I spend a lot of time narrowly focused on the project at hand, sometimes I try to look beyond my purpose and take in all the other sights in the galleries. That includes finding the first floor that includes sculptures and early American furniture. I’m not the kind of person to read about every article. I prefer to walk through the galleries without a lot of gazing. If something becomes interesting I’ll take a photo and maybe look it up after the fact. Aside from the furniture are all the lovely portraits. The Monet and impressionists are my favorites, but the Gilbert Stuart portraits of the early presidents and other pieces are really nice. The colors and tones are quite beautiful. I think I prefer the west building to the east, but the underground walkway feels like space mountain. There is definitely something there for everyone. Maybe that’s why we end up visiting so much. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment