Friday, July 1, 2022

Barrington Pheloung Music

Music always takes me somewhere. My grandfather played the horn; my dad bought us an organ so he could learn to play; I did play the organ and was in the high school glee club. We bought just about every film sound track and my parents had 45 rpm records from Annie Get Your Gun and South Pacific. I had a great collection of 45’s from the sixties and seventies that were recently given to our grandson. My college collection of albums was significant and very heavy to cart around. To this day I love music. Sometimes the prettiest sounds come from unexpected places. We love Masterpiece shows on PBS. I’ve watched them since the Six Wives of Henry the Eighth. The theme music for many of the shows is remarkable. But the one that has the most haunting effect is Barrington Pheloung’s Inspector Morse, Lewis and the prequel Endeavor - which is ending this year. What makes the theme so touching is also the fact that the composer recently passed away. I read a bit more about him - the music was actually created with the Morse code in mind and sometimes the killer was identified using the Morse code. Regardless, both my husband and I are in a trance every time we hear it. Thanks so much for writing this wonderful music. We will always be your fans. 















No comments:

Post a Comment