Monday, July 4, 2022

Fourth of July Wedding Memories

It was seventy three years ago today. My parents got married on the hottest day of the year in New England. The wedding day was on the Fourth of July because it was the only day that the family could be off work from my grandfather’s grocery store. So whenever this date comes around I think more about my parents wedding anniversary then Independence Day. But this year is different. My mom’s flower girl was my eldest cousin - my mom’s older sister’s first born. We have stayed in touch throughout the years even though she’s several years older. She was also instrumental in helping me plan for the fiftieth wedding anniversary in New England in 1999. None of us lived in New England anymore and she was welcoming in not only offering her house as the venue, but also having a wedding cake ordered that looked exactly like the original. It was probably the last time we saw most of our relatives together in one place. Both of my parents have passed away now. And I’m sad to say that this is the first year my cousin is not with us. She suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at home earlier this year. I had just spoken to her the week before and had an email from her the day before. It’s a bit melancholic to lose family members especially during the weird pandemic years. But I’d like to take the opportunity to remember them all today. What a wonderful holiday it was to celebrate seventy three years ago!








No comments:

Post a Comment