Monday, October 24, 2022

52Frames Black and White Minimalism Photo Challenge

I’m not really in to black and white photography. My brain is geared to color. But this weeks 52Frames photo challenge was “black and white minimalism.” I always look at the past similar challenges to get an idea what they are looking for. Sometimes it helps but most often I end up doing something completely on my own. It started with some at home photos of things like a spider, the kitchen faucet, a borzoi stuffed animal, and the metal pull cords on the shades. In the neighborhood park there were some leaves that I tried to isolate against a white and black background. Then we took a ride to Mason Neck Park. There was an interesting reflection of us, the walking path boards, and a heron in between the delightful morning walk in a place we haven’t been to in over three years. The best part was the ride along the George Washington Memorial parkway that takes you by Mount Vernon. Then later in the week we took a ride in to town and parked in our old Capitol Hill neighborhood. The Smithsonian gardens and Hirshhorn sculpture garden always have something. But it was the corner of the National Gallery of Art building that was simplistic in its lines that got my attention. With a noir filter and a bit of a high key touch the contrast was interesting. This photo was the submission this week. I tried taking a RAW photo of the Capitol dome from quite a distance and was very pleased with the result. It was my second choice. Whether or not I like the subject matter hardly matters. It’s been two years since I started this photo challenge on a friend’s advice. It’s something to look forward to every week. 



































No comments:

Post a Comment