Saturday, January 30, 2021

Editing Photo Images

I have never taken a photography class, but I like taking photos. I remember my dad’s complicated manual 35mm camera. He took a lot of slides and we watched them projected on the wall. I was the first to get a swinger instant camera, and after that I always had some sort of camera - including the first digital camera that used discs and the latest was a Sony. But when the iPhone came along I now only use it for everything, including the weekly 52Frames photo challenge. Most photos require some sort of editing and I usually go with the “auto” option. But sometimes it’s worth making finer adjustments depending on the final look one might be after. Last week I practiced manually changing two images that were recently taken - one from Great Falls and the other was a “horizon” image. I wanted to make the River more obvious and bring out the green color; the other I wanted to make the sky more brilliant so the Washington memorial stood out more. There are several options - from exposure, to tint, to shadows, to vibrance, etc. Right now I’m just adjusting at whim. One of these days I need to study the names and definitions to see what the impact is supposed to be rather than rely on the here and there approach. It really does make a difference to the final outcome. So I put that photo activity on my list of things to do. There is always something to learn. 









No comments:

Post a Comment