Monday, February 22, 2021

Five Years Since Retirement

It’s hard to believe that it has been five years! I retired in February 2016 after working for ten years at the Library of Congress. It was a great experience after working in health care for thirty years. The job brought us to Capitol Hill from the Midwest with all of the fascinating events and activities associated with living in the nation’s Capital. We also had the opportunity to live down the street from our grandson until they moved to central Virginia five years ago. I don’t miss working at all especially in a pandemic. A lot of things have happened since I retired. We took two cross country road trips - the first one to California and the second to Washington state and back. We moved to northern Virginia almost two years ago, and my mom passed away last year. That was the last road trip we took - to Florida - a trip we took frequently for as long as I can remember. The monthly breakfast gatherings with my brother/wife and my sister stopped. One occasionally wonders if the decisions made in life made sense. On the whole I would have to say things have worked out fairly well and once we both get our vaccinations it might feel like it once did again. Right now I feel like we are stuck in limbo with at least a small shred of light at the end of the tunnel. We never really did much anyway. Time sure is flying by - even this last year. There aren’t a lot of “happy” milestones to look forward to at this age. I suppose each age group is affected differently by this last year. Staying healthy is the most we could ask for. 












No comments:

Post a Comment