Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The New Yorker Digital App Technical Glitch

My only connection to the New Yorker Magazine was an entry to the Eustace Tilley cover contest several years ago. Astonishingly, I actually won with my digital art image of our Borzoi that was created with the help of my husband’s idea. He actually found the contest rules the day before it ended. So I had to work quick and it paid off. My husband has been reading the New Yorker since before we moved to Capitol Hill - probably 25 years ago? Back then the hard copy was mailed to us, now it’s all digital on an app through iTunes. His subscription was just renewed last week, but he was not able to download the latest issue. We requested help through the app via three different emails. Getting no where, we finally called the New Yorker and they said they couldn’t help us because it was iTunes/Apple’s problem. They gave us the number for Apple. The first number was a miss again, and they gave us another number. In the meantime my husband kept insisting that the password be changed. So I did. After having the subscription checked via the second Apple person, she couldn’t figure out why we kept getting the screen to pay for the latest edition vs being able to download it, so she forwarded us to the technical person. In the meantime I deleted and downloaded the app again. That didn’t work either, and the technical guy was trying just about everything he could to fix it. I then realized that the app I downloaded had a red background rather than a white background. There is a subtle difference between the two because they both say New Yorker. So I told him I would delete the app with the red background and download the app with the white background. And wouldn’t you know, after about two hours of phone calls and such, that did the trick. He was complimenting me on my perseverance and even noticing that option, happy it was finally resolved. My husband was ready to cancel the subscription and call it a day. I never give up so quickly, especially since I know how much he looks forward to reading it each week. And, I am very acquainted with using help desks during my career and home experiences. I still don’t know why the issue came up to begin with. I guess it doesn’t matter, but it chewed up a lot of our time getting it resolved. 










No comments:

Post a Comment