Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Mom’s Birthday

I never needed to be reminded. Today is my mom’s birthday. But it’s the first birthday that she is no longer with us. She passed away last year on February 15th, in the same month that she was born. She would have been 98 today! There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t thought about her. Our last trip before the pandemic was her funeral, so it’s taking me a while to adjust to it all. Her affairs are still being settled, so there is still paperwork to complete. Yesterday I got an email reminder that today was her day, and have received other notifications from places that I’ve ordered things from for her - like flowers and food items. On our wall is a painting I made that is one of my favorites. My dad took the photograph at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut when I was about three or four years old. It shows the rear view of my mom walking with me, my brother and sister in the old village. She always made sure that we were dressed perfectly and this was one of those occasions. There’s something about New England that is in my soul and this image represents that time and place. Wishing you a very happy birthday Mom! 






No comments:

Post a Comment