Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Exactly Fifty Years Apart

We are exactly fifty years apart. It’s one way to remember how old he is. Our grandson is 17 and graduated from high school this past weekend. I was also 17 when I graduated from high school. We haven’t visited with him and his family since Christmas 2019. Because everyone is vaccinated, we decided to make the four hour road trip to central Virginia. It was like going from serious COVID restrictions in northern Virginia to a place in time before the pandemic. It was a great occasion to finally take the plunge, and it felt weird. In some respects it seemed like it had been over a year and a half, but at the same time it felt like just yesterday. It was a very rainy weekend but the weather finally turned in our favor for the event, although it was very cold - especially since the graduation was being held in an outdoor stadium. It’s also the first time I did not keep up with my daily blog entries. I just didn’t feel like for the first time in ten years. Our grandson has been a joy and is someone to be proud of. He was the salutatorian in a class of over 300+ seniors, excelling in math and advanced college studies. He also likes to cook, is outdoorsy, and plays at wrestling, baseball and track. He’s extremely polite and kind. So, we had a really nice time finally getting away for the weekend, and for a great reason. He will be attending UVA in Charlottesville and we are more than happy about it. Now that we are back home both my husband and I feel bewildered and out of it. I looked around for my high school graduation photos and sent off a few, along with his dad’s to make comparisons. The diplomas look exactly like they did back then. Some things never change. 












No comments:

Post a Comment