Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Library of Congress Christmas Tree

I took a detour on my walk this afternoon through the underground tunnel over to the Jefferson Building. I missed the Christmas tree lighting ceremony and the reading of The Night Before Christmas by the Librarian to all the children that typically attend. But I wanted to see the Christmas tree before the holiday passes. And it was really pretty with the backdrop of the historical building interior and stunning workmanship behind it. There were a few visitors hanging around, and a few tours being conducted by the docents. I am always struck by the history of this building, and directly across the street stands the Capitol Building in all its splendor. The other day, I passed by the Librarian on my daily walk- and we exchanged greetings. I'm not sure how many Librarians have been appointed by the President since the first one- not more than 15 I think- so it's always a treat to run in to living history. This type of experience didn't happen that often in my past work places, if at all. And that's one of the reasons why I really like it here.





No comments:

Post a Comment