Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Piece of the Rock

I have had the opportunity to go behind the scenes of a lot of construction projects in the buildings on Capitol Hill. When I first started working at the Library, I was at the ground breaking of the Capitol Visitor Center Tunnel that would begin at the front of the Library of Congress Jefferson Building and end at the new Capitol Visitor Center. The new site was being made underground on the East side of the Capitol. The Librarian of Congress was there at the ground breaking, as well as the Architect of the Capitol, some Copyright Judges, and a variety of other staff. As the 1890's wall was being demolished, some full size bricks were distributed, but some little chunks were falling by the wayside. I was able to sneak a little piece, and it has rested on my desk since that time. I wonder who placed that brick in the wall back then, and was really happy to have had the opportunity to participate in the event. I've been to a lot of ribbon cuttings and ground breakings in my health care career, but never one as "historic" as this, surrounded by living history.
A few of my favorite things

No comments:

Post a Comment