Sunday, September 23, 2012

Library of Congress National Book Festival

The National Book Festival means more to me since I wrote two children's books, and because I work at the Library of Congress. It was the perfect weekend for the event, so we walked over after lunch from 1st to 14th Street and back. Last year we saw a few notables, like the Librarian of Congress, and Julianne Moore. This year I didn't even recognize anyone I work with. Nevertheless it was jammed and there was a little bit of everything for everyone. We didn't have any particular author in mind to see, but enjoyed the walk and the scenery in general. And of course, the pink satchel is an absolute necessity. It comes in handy for a lot of stuff around the house. I can't think of anything quite comparable to this in Milwaukee, because it really is a one of a kind event. On Friday the Jefferson Building was closed early to prepare for the grand gala that is typical at the start of this festival. And a lot of people I work with set it up, drive around and serve the dignitaries at the grand dinners, do all the print work, and may even help provide emergency care. The behind the scenes staff don't always get the recognition they deserve. It goes without saying that it is always noticed when something goes wrong- but you know you did a good job when you don't hear anything. I'm just glad I don't have to do the take down and clean up after something like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment