Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Art of Clara Barton

It is both an honor and a privilege to have an association with Clara Barton. I have two digital art pieces on exhibit at the National Historic Site in Glen Echo through October 31. We went to the open house that was held in tandem with the city's Labor Day Art Show this afternoon. It was great to see so many visitors checking it out, especially because it's kind of a rainy, dreary day. The Park Rangers tried to keep the kids interested by asking them if they knew what a natural disaster was. Clara and I have some things in common. She was from Massachusetts, as was I. She was a teacher and did everything nursing...and I was a nurse. She loved animals, and had an artistic flair. I love history- she made it. I like to think I've helped some folks directly or indirectly throughout my career. Because of her we have the Red Cross. And there was a bloodmobile right out front looking for volunteers. I can't hold a candle to what she accomplished, but I am excited to pay homage to her in this way. Not everyone has their art shown in such an historical setting - and she actually lived and worked at this place. And she did it at a time when things were not as easy for her as they are for us today - in more ways than we can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment