Sunday, February 7, 2016

James Garfield

Fifty years old is quite young, especially when I passed that mark twelve years ago. We were watching an American Experience the other day - saw one about the coal mines, and Bonnie & Clyde, and this recent one about James Garfield. I wanted to major in history before selecting nursing, so I find these programs interesting. And living in DC makes it very easy to stumble upon peculiar and real facts about all the people who walked the streets we now reside on. James Garfield was just fifty when he was assassinated. A very large memorial statue is situated right in front of the Capitol building near the US Botanic garden. We passed by him millions of times on our walks towards the national mall. But after watching the show, and learning more about this figure from Ohio, I couldn't help but take a closer look. To think someone can do so much in such a short period of time is impressive, regardless of your views on life. I wonder if any of his descendants come this way? In any event, it makes me wonder how every day counts, especially when I'm surrounded by such accomplishments. 







No comments:

Post a Comment