Saturday, November 12, 2011

Jennie O Turkey

I am not a very good cook- or should I say, I don't enjoy cooking. My husband, on the other hand, really likes it. A perfect match! But, for Thanksgiving, I usually feel somewhat responsible for taking on the turkey job. We weren't sure what we would be doing this year, but wanted to be prepared one way or the other. In Milwaukee, we used to go out for Thanksgiving dinner, because it was just the two of us, until one year, I thought I would try a Jennie O turkey. I really like it because it comes all prepared and all you need to do is put it directly in to the oven from the freezer. It's in a bag, comes seasoned, and it tells you when it is ready. We have never been disappointed with the outcome. Since we moved to DC, we found a Safeway that usually carries them. I have had to special order through the Safeway a couple weeks in advance. I checked the newest Safeway in the neighborhood, and they would not be carrying them. So yesterday we made a visit to Arlington to see if our luck would hold out. They did not have any. But luckily the buyer happened to be in the meat department, and he made several calls around the city... and came back with the news that if we would be willing to drive to another Safeway 5 miles away, they had exactly what we were looking for. So, we did drive the five miles to the newest Safeway in Virginia- and there they were- sitting with all the other turkeys, hidden in the corner. I was so happy to see the familiar bag. My husband was prepared to make an alternative. He didn't grow up with Thanksgiving and turkey- but it just wouldn't be the same.
I like the artwork!

Safe and sound in the freezer for 2 more weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment