Monday, January 24, 2022

52Frames Complementary Colors

I thought I knew what complementary colors were. For a weekly photo challenge it has a particular definition. So I had to look up “color wheel” to better understand what it meant. The main opposing colors are red/green; purple/yellow; orange/blue. Before I figured that out we had spent a couple of days taking photos of things that were not in that definition. And even after I thought I got it, it seemed difficult to find something that really worked. We were walking though the US Botanic garden and the purple and yellow cabbages looked perfect. They weren’t crisp colors, but the contrast was definitely there after a bit of editing. There was another cabbage that looked okay, but the yellow wasn’t bright enough. Then we walked down to the Hirshhorn Museum and the orange birdhouse against the blue background looked right. In front of the Arts and Industries building was a sculpture of sorts at the entrance made up of red and green plastic square pieces. That might work. I wasn’t happy with my options so we decided to take a ride to old town Alexandria where there might be a row house that fit the bill. There wasn’t. But what we did find were red and green shutters that stood out from the rest. After putting the images on my business Facebook page and Instagram the shutters seemed to be the winning image. But there was something more artistic about the cabbage, and besides, my husband liked that one more. As far as I was concerned the cabbage and the shutters were equal, so I posted the cabbage. I have a feeling I missed the boat this week. After all, the idea isn’t to “win” the weekly challenge, but just get out and look for something. But I have to admit that when an item gets noticed, it feels good. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment