Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Too Salty for Me!

Those were the days - eating French fries and fried chicken and fish and chips without even thinking about it! Since I’ve been on blood pressure medication since my early thirties - if not younger than that - I don’t eat a lot of salt. I never add it to food. But whenever we go out to eat invariably there will be salt in it. That’s why we rarely go out to eat anymore and have gotten out of the habit since the pandemic. And if we do go out, it’s usually for brunch. Otherwise it’s once a week for pickup. Our favorite pick up is Moby Dicks’s which is Persian food and relatively healthy. We decided to try Matchbox pickup last Sunday for dinner. We used to go there when we lived on Capitol Hill but have never tried the new place here in our neighborhood. And we ordered everything that we shouldn’t have - fish and chips, crispy chicken cobb salad, miniature burgers and onion rings, cream of crab soup, and chicken pesto pizza because my husband can’t eat tomatoes anymore. It all looked so good and nicely packaged. But when I started to eat it I was overwhelmed by the taste of salt! The only item that was reasonable to eat was the pizza. I felt like a sinner eating all of that salt. My husband on the other hand loved it. He doesn’t have blood pressure concerns. I don’t think we will be going back any time soon. The brunch menu looks like it could be more promising but I’m not sure that it’s worth it. At least at home I can control the salt intake. It’s always a crap shoot when you go out. 














No comments:

Post a Comment